JPS Australia

News -

Electric Light Orchestra 1978

ELO Sydney 1978

ELO Sydney 1978

1978 was the peak of Electric Light Orchestra’s popularity with Out Of The Blue as their best selling album yet, a wildly popular stage show, and general high respect from radio and music critics. ELO brought their symphonic rock and laser lighting show to Australia in February 1978. Nothing on this scale had been seen before, in Australia.

Commenting on the Randwick Racecourse show violinist Mik Kaminski said: “But the best thing of all was the concert we did at Sydney Outdoor Stadium, where we played to 26,000 people.”

The speaker system for this tour included 18 of Jands newly developed all-in-one Concord cabinets along with a conventional 4 way system. Jands also supplied the lighting and stage roof.

The lighting system was made up of Par64s and Strand profiles for specials. At the end of the Australian tour ELO airfreighted Jands lighting system and crew to Japan for concerts in Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto and Osaka. The 20ft trusses, in use at the time, were a special problem for the Qantas freighters.

Tour Dates 1978

January 29 Western Springs Auckland, NZ
February 1, 2 Festival Hall Brisbane
February 4 Randwick Race Course Sydney
February 7, 8, 9 Myer Music Bowl Melbourne
February 16, 17 Entertainment Centre Perth
February 22 Budokan Tokyo, Japan
February 23, 24 Festival Hall Osaka, Japan
February 25 Kaikan Kyoto, Japan
February 26 Kyuden Taiikukan Fukuoka, Japan
February 28 Nagoyashi Kokaido Nagoya, Japan
March 2 Shizuoka, Japan

All images © Jands Pty Limited. Click to enlarge

6 responses to “Electric Light Orchestra 1978”

1. WalkingCivilWar says:

I was there!!!!! February 1978, I was 14 years old and this was the first concert I’d ever been to. It was AWESOME! Since then I’ve been to literally hundreds of concerts/festivals and E.L.O. definitely still rates right up there.

2. Howard neely says:

Me too, it was probably my first concert, my sister took me for my 15th birthday in Sydney, great laser show. I’ve just returned from Xmas in Yorkshire, England and the Move a 60s band were doing a concert in March 2014. If I’m not mistaken Bev Bevan from the 1978 ELO tour was in The Move in the 1960s, great band also with songs like, Goodbye Blackberry Way and Flowers in the Rain.

3. Susan O'Dea says:

I was there too!!! It was the most incredible experience of my life. I remember as if it was yesterday (and I must have been 17.)

4. Wayne Johnson says:

What about the Adelaide concert on the 10th February at Football Park?

5. Darryl Morris says:

Never forgot the concert in Brisbane back then.I was 16 and it blew me away. Festival Hall is gone now but the memories are still there.

6. DOUGLAS MAXWELL says:

ELO WAS MY FIRST ROCK CONCERT ,,BRILLIANT SHOW AT PERTH,1978,,THE SUPPORTING ACT BAND BEFORE ELO WAS A WA BAND CALLED DAVE WARNER FROM THE SUBURBS (SHOCKING BAND),,,BESIDES 1978 I ALSO SAW CHUCK BERRY ,STATUS QUO ,THE BEACH BOYS AND 1976 I SAW THE LEGENDRY CROONER PERRY COMO ALL AT THE PERTH ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE,,,ALL GREAT MEMORIES,,,SHAME THAT THE ENTRTAINMENT CENTER BULLDOZED DOWN FOR SOME STUPID APARTMENTS,,,,DOUGIE FROM DOWERIN WESTERN AUSTRALIA 5/3/2016